HIV & AIDS – Challenges and Responses
The Coordinator: CHURCH IN SOCIETY COMMITTEE
- Caring for People Living with HIV and AIDS;
- Provision of care and support to Orphans and Widows;
- Promoting prevention strategies, VCT, ART, PMTCT;
- Youth behavioural change programs;
- Facilitating joint men and women forums;
- Income-generation projects for poverty alleviation;
- Caring for the elderly and disabled;
- Training and leadership development.
011 727 3500
- To develop a UPCSA HIV/AIDS Strategic Plan and Policy;
- To promote VCT, PMTCT, ART and other prevention strategies;
- To build up the Capacity of Presbyteries and Congregations;
- To reflect on existing strategies and assess their effectiveness;
- To explore ways of developing partnerships and networks;
- To develop mechanisms for monitoring and evaluation of projects.
Our Emphasis is on
- Abstinence for those not married;
- Faithfulness for those in marriage;
- Treatment, Care and Support;
- Love and acceptance as opposed to stigma and isolation.
An Emerging Issue
One of the challenges that have been identified as a weakness in the UPCSA is the lack of emphasis on abstinence from sex among the youth within the church. This is indicated by a rise in teenage pregnancies. A further symptom is that most youth disappear when they fall pregnant and re-surface at a later stage once they have given birth.
Ecumenical links to other organisations with whom we cooperate.
Click images below to go to the site.